News Corp Australia’s The Courier-Mail was named the national/metro daily newspaper of the year at last night’s 2014 PANPA Newspaper of the Year Awards, while The Weekend Australian was named weekend newspaper of the year.
Fairfax Media The Newcastle Herald picked up the award for regional daily newspaper of the year, while The Gympie Times was recognised in the community newspaper of the year category.
News Corp was also recognised with the environment award for its 1 Degree’s environmental awareness campaign, while Fairfax’s North Richmond plant won print centre of the year.
The Newspaper Works CEO Mark Hollands said: “Newspapers from all over the Asia Pacific set an extremely high standard in their submissions and left our judges locked in debate over the major Newspaper of the Year winner.
A meeting of Fairfax members of the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA) voted unanimously to reject the pay offer and hold a one hour work stoppage today, ahead further strikes next week.
The resolution passed at the meeting yesterday took aim at claims by senior Fairfax executive Gail Hambly last week that the staff at the publisher had not “backed itself”, after it was revealed that the senior executives had given themselves significant pay rises in the most recent company financial results.
“(We) note management’s view that Fairfax journalists do not “back themselves”, and ask that management consider rewarding their journalists in a similar vein to the $2.4 million pay rise awarded to the top four executives,” said the MEAA resolution. Read more »
Independent news website Crikey has agreed to take down and destroy all electronic and hard copy versions of leaked confidential News Corp financial documents, which showed the Australian newspaper division of the publisher dropped $320m in ad revenues and cut one in eight jobs in the 2012-13 financial year.
Crikey this evening announced that it had reached a legal agreement with News Corp with a statement on its website saying: “Crikey owner Private Media and News Corp have reached a legal agreement that prevents Crikey from hosting or further distributing the News Corporation Australia Weekly Operating Statement for the week ended June 30, 2013.”
“As part of the agreement, Private Media has promised to destroy by 5pm today any hard and electronic copies in its possession.”
Welcome to Mumbrella’s live blog, our daily roundup of what’s happening in media and marketing.
- Leaked News Corp documents show financial state of its Australian newspapers
- Julian Clarke backs The Australian’s campaign against the Press Council
- News Corp CEO admits to ‘head winds’ but claims trend lines are ‘heading the right way’
- Turnbull tells media industry to find consensus before changes to reach rules can be made
- Kim Williams: News Corp marketing techniques inherited were from the 1980s
- ACMAgiven leave to contest 2DayFM ruling in Australia’s highest court over nurse prank call
- Dr Mumbo: Aussie hunks in trunks and Freedom of speech and the ‘optimism bias’
4:08pm - Old Spice has recruited the ‘Bondi Hipsters’ to present an Australian take on the brand’s ‘Mom song‘ used in the US to market the brand.
1:52pm - Production house Endemol Australia is set to farewell its head of development Nathan Gibbs imminently, with head of digital Lulu Wilkinson also preparing to depart the company in the next few months.
1:07pm - CEO of News Corp Australia Julian Clarke has sought to downplay a damaging leak of internal financial information by this morning telling a forum of newspaper publishers that he was “not too worried about it”.
12:04pm – The ABC is rolling out a new feature across its websites flagging where coverage of a story or issue is available elsewhere on the web, in a new section called “from other news sites”. Details here. Read more »
The former CEO of News Corp Australia Kim Williams has fired back at his former employer, after its current CEO Julian Clarke questioned changes he made to the company’s marketing of newspapers during his 2011-13 reign.
Yesterday a leaked News Corp financial report showed major declines in newspaper revenues for the Australian business under Williams, who exited the company 12 months ago.
At the Future Forum this morning Clarke said the documents were 14-months old, adding all of the trend lines he was responsible for are “heading the right way”, and said the company had ignored promotion and marketing in the years preceding his arrival.
Speaking to Mumbrella this afternoon Williams responded to the claims saying:”If all the trend lines are heading in the right way I’m very happy to hear that. It’s very different from the experience I had.
“What we did was we took a different approach to marketing which was actually more consistent with modern methodologies. I think many of the newspaper promotional techniques that I inherited were firmly from the 1980s. Read more »
The prolonged court battle between the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and Southern Cross Austereo’s 2DayFM over the right to publish a contentious report into a prank call which led to the suicide of a British nurse is set to be heard by Australia’s highest court.
Last Friday the ACMA was given leave to appeal to the High Court of Australia against a ruling in March in favour of the radio station preventing it from publishing a report which is understood to find the station committed a criminal offence by airing the prank call.
The case relates to the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, who took her own life in December 2012 after she had put through a prank call by hosts Mel Greig and Michael ‘MC’ Christian, who were impersonating Prince Charles and The Queen, to the ward where the then pregnant Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for acute morning sickness.
In March the Federal Court upheld an appeal by 2DayFM which had claimed the ACMA was acting as “accuser and fact finder” in creating the report, which is believed to state the station breached the NSW Surveillance Devices Act by airing the secretly recorded call without seeking permission from the nurse or hospital.
Old Spice has recruited the ‘Bondi Hipsters’ to present an Australian take on the brand’s ‘Mom song‘ used in the US to market the brand.
The Bondi Hipsters, Christiaan Van Vuuren and Nick Boshier who play hipsters Dom and Adrian, sing to Dom’s mum’s about how he’s a man now capable of tying his own shoes and who has his own Medicare card.
Dom and Adrian sing their farewell about Dom moving out of home before explaining where his manliness came from. The answer – Old Spice.
Old Spice brand manager Rachael Read said: “We are thrilled to release ‘Man Song’, a locally created music video, inspired by viral Old Spice ad ‘Mom Song’, today. The unique tension point between mums and their sons as they transition from boyhood to manhood proved rich creative territory for us. By bringing this to life creatively with the Bondi Hipsters we were able to remind guys of how Old Spice can help them navigate this unique journey in a fun, shareable and uniquely Australian way.”
Speaking after today’s newspaper CEOs forum, Julian Clarke backed the “deliberate campaign” of The Australian which in recent weeks has begun publishing confidential adjudications before the APC claiming the self regulatory body has been overstepping its authority.
“We have concerns about certain deliberations that have been made that affect us,” said Clarke, in response to a question from Mumbrella, following the end of The Newspaper Works’s CEOs panel Future Forum. Read more »
Production house Endemol Australia is set to farewell its head of development Nathan Gibbs imminently, with head of digital Lulu Wilkinson also preparing to depart the company in the next few months.
Gibbs had been with Endemol since 2007, when it was known as Southern Star, joining the production house as a development producer. Since then he has worked with the company as a consulting executive and executive producer working on shows such as Beauty & the Geek and Undercover Boss before being promoted to the head of development in January 2012.
Prior to his time with Endemol, Gibbs worked with Seven as a producer.
CEO of News Corp Australia Julian Clarke has sought to downplay a damaging leak of internal financial information by this morning telling a forum of newspaper publishers that he was “not too worried about it”.
Asked by Future Forum panel moderator Russel Howcroft about yesterday’s leak, which was revealed by news website Crikey (paywall), that showed the News Corp’s Australian newspaper division dropped $320m in ad revenues and cut one in eight jobs in the 2012-13 financial year, Clarke said the issues facing the newspaper industry were universal but that with good strategy they could be overcome.
“I can confirm it was an interesting day,” said Clarke. “I won’t say too much more than what I’ve said to our staff and that is what was published was 14 months old. No one is in any doubt about the headwinds that all of us are facing and continue to face.
“My reaction, to any of this, is to say reality is the first thing you have to acknowledge and then you start to devise your game plan around it.” Read more »
Digital services company Excite Digital Media, which operates from the same Bondi Junction office as defunct search agency Adlux, acquired the assets of the collapsed company in June it has emerged, with creditors now being warned they are unlikely to receive much of the money they are owed.
The founder and chief executive of Excite Digital Media Evan Balafas told Mumbrella that he paid a “considerable” amount for the assets of the business, which was founded by George Papaioannou in 2009 and whose chief executive until June was Nicholas Stavropoulos.
The acquisition left the finan cial liabilities with Adlux. Adlux folded earlier this month owing around $3.6m to creditors, as well as undetermined amounts to the tax office.
Balafas said he also had held a minor stake in Adlux, while Papaioannou and Stavropoulos are understood to have a small holding in Excite Digital Media.
Media agency Ikon Communications Melbourne has picked up strategic assignments for Mazda’s next two launches, including the launch of the Mazda2, Mumbrella can reveal.
However OMD Melbourne remains an agency of record on the account, which has a media spend of around $43m according to Nielsen.
McDonald’s promotes ‘McMate’ burger in ad which sees the public take over a McDonald’s to prepare the burger
McDonald’s is promoting its publicly voted for burger with a new ad which sees a group of customers take over a McDonald’s kitchen to prepare one of the “McMate” burgers for Maccas staff.
According to the ad, created by DDB Sydney, consumers suggested the ingredients for the two burgers, which comes in a chicken and a beef variety, and also named it.
“We wanted to highlight our fans’ ownership of the burger, and felt there was no better way to demonstrate this then by flipping the restaurant on its head and letting Australians take over the kitchen and showcase the ingredients they selected for our first ever crowdsourced burger, the McMate,” a McDonald’s spokesperson said.
Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said the government will not pursue changes to the much-debated media ownership rules until “more consensus is achieved” between executives from the major companies.
In a speech to the Newspaper Works Future Forum this morning Turnbull confirmed the much-anticipated rule changes, which would see the path cleared for a series of mergers in the industry and were originally signalled to go through this year, admitted that whilst there is a need for change, it cannot happen whilst there is “self interest” in the market.
Whilst Nine Entertainment Co, Network Ten and News Corp have all come out in favour of abolishing the “two out of three rule”, which prevents media companies from owning TV, radio and print assets together, Seven West Media’s chairman Kerry Stokes has said he is not in favour of the change.
During today’s speech Turnbull also said the big publishers have to embrace change as it comes, quipping: “We cannot be like Canute who wants to turn back the waves, we’ve got to be like a great surfer who takes advantage of them and rides them. All of that is an opportunity, but it demands of us enormous nimbleness.”
In the UK the public broadcaster the BBC has used a similar device for a number of years called Newstracker, in a bid to counter criticisms from vocal critics of the broadcaster that it is sucking audiences away from independent and other commercial news organisations.
The service will have a focus on domestic news, but also point audiences in the direction of other popular news sites. According to Nielsen Online rankings ABC News’ sites are the fourth most popular site in Australia, with a unique audience of 2.5m.
Ten’s Wonderland largely maintained its second season debut audience, boosting it slightly from last week’s 519,000 to 532,000, overnight OzTam TV ratings show.
Meanwhile reality dating TV show The Bachelor continues to shed viewers, it was watched by 640,000 viewers compared to last week’s 683,000. However, it did help Ten beat the ABC in terms of audience share with Ten grabbing a share of 12.6 per cent compared to the ABC’s 10.6 per cent share. The Bachelor is the second most watched show across the younger demographics (people 16 – 39 and people 18 – 49).
The ABC saw its share fall on the back of substantial ratings declines for new comedy show Utopia at 8.30pm, which lost 180,000 viewers pulling 597,000, whilst the second episode of Reality Check which looks at the week in reality TV and is hosted by Tom Ballard also struggled, only drawing a metro audience of 392,000, down from 559,000 on its debut last week. However Utopia was the most time-shifted show of last Wednesday getting an extra 162,000 viewers taking its total audience to 940,000.
Nine’s The Block Glasshouse was the most watched entertainment show for the night drawing an audience of 1.056m however that wasn’t enough for the channel to secure a win, with Seven beating Nine’s share of 20.4 per cent with a share of 21.6 per cent. The Block was the most watched show across all demographics.
The Macquarie Radio Network is undertaking a “comprehensive review” of its sales and marketing functions after its revenues and profits both dropped back despite the Sydney radio market actually growing last year.
The network, which runs the most listened to Sydney radio station in 2GB, saw profits after tax drop 35 per cent on the previous year to $5.9m, with operating revenues down 2 per cent to $56.5m, and ad sales revenues down nearly $700,000 to $51.348m.
Chairman Russell Tate admitted the operating revenues were disappointing, adding: “The Sydney radio market grew by over 2 per cent in the financial year, and our operating revenues were actually down on prior year. A comprehensive review of our sales and marketing approach was commenced in the last quarter of the year and we are confident of regaining lost share in 2014/15 to move back into earnings growth.” Read more »
Woolworths is promoting Jamie Oliver’s dinnerware which is exclusive to the supermarket chain in a 16-second TV commercial.
The spot follows on from the supermarket returning to its ‘Fresh Food People’ positioning in a new brand campaign from Leo Burnett Sydney which only featured Woolworths ambassador Jamie Oliver right at the end.