McCann Melbourne wins Agency of the Year at AWARD awards
McCann Melbourne has taken home Agency of the Year and won gold across 12 categories at the 35th annual Australasian Writers and Art Directors Association (AWARD) Awards.
The creative agency won big for its highly awarded ‘Dumb Ways to Die’ campaign for Metro Trains, which took Client of the Year.
However, only two Australian agencies, McCann and Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, made it into the top five agencies of the year with the rest of the list rounded out by New Zealand shops.
McCann has had huge success with the ad, helping the agency take second place in the annual Gunn Report ranking. The three-minute animated music video has gone viral on YouTube, with more than 76 million views and dozens of spin-offs and parodies.
Another big winner at the ceremony was Clemenger BBDO Melbourne, which won ‘Best in Show’ and took home gold across the film and video and digital categories for their ‘Melbourne Remote Control Tourist’, which also took out best in show with the agency ranked fourth in the agency of the year category.
Chairman of judging Sir John Hegarty said the campaign for Tourism Victoria was fresh and rare: “This idea utilises technology to deliver an experience that gives Melbourne a competitive edge. I wish I’d done it.”
Brett Colliver and Simon Vicars from Colenso BBDO won ‘Creative Team of the Year,’ a new category introduced this year that recognises the creative or team that won gold, silver and bronze across the most individual entries.
Production company of the year went to Finch, while BBDO won ‘Network of the Year’.
The night saw founder of Droga5, David Droga, inducted in the AWARD Hall of Fame.
AWARD chairman Mark Harricks said: “We did a lot of work this year to pull together a jury that had a healthy mix of experienced old hands and fresh new faces.
“Feedback from the juries has been extremely positive, with a lot of them surprised at the level of intensive scrutiny and rigour involved in the judging process. AWARD’s primary focus is to raise the bar of creativity in our region, and this year’s award winners do exactly that.
“I would like to congratulate all of this year’s finalists and winners; you have faced the harsh scrutiny of peer judgement, and succeeded. Well done.”
Production Company of the Year – Top 5
2) Exit Films
3) The Sweet Shop
4) Curious Film
5) Thick as Thieves
Agency of the Year – Top 5
1) McCann Melbourne
2) FCB New Zealand
3) Leo Burnett Sydney
4) Clemenger BBDO Melbourne
5) Colenso BBDO
Client of the Year – Top 5
1) Metro Trains
2) Mini / SPCA New Zealand
3) Tourism Victoria
5) Diageo Australia
Network of the Year – Top 5
2) McCann Erickson
5) Leo Burnett
Creative Team of the Year
Brett Colliver and Simon Vicars
Agency: Colenso BBDO
Best in Show
Title: Melbourne Remote Control Tourist
Company: Clemenger BBDO Melbourne
Gold winners (category, sub-category, campaign, company):
- Film and Video – Television Commercials, individual – Over 30 seconds: Blazed – Clemenger BBDO New Zealand
- Film and Video – Television Commercials, individual – Over 30 seconds:Dumb Ways to Die -McCann Melbourne
- Film and Video – Branded Content, campaign – Any Length: Driving Dogs – FCB New Zealand
- Film and Video – Interactive Film, campaign – Any Length: Melbourne Remote Control Tourist - Clemenger BBDO Melbourne
- Craft in Film – Animation: Dumb Ways to Die - McCann Melbourne
- Craft in Film – Original Music: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- Print -Newspapers, campaign: Dumb Ways to Die- McCann Melbourne
- Integrated Campaign: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- Posters and Outdoor – Outdoor Campaign – Any format: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- PR – Best Integrated Campaign Led by PR: Dumb Ways to Die - McCann Melbourne
- Print Craft – Art Direction, campaign: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- Print Craft – Illustration, campaign: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- Radio – Over 30 Seconds: Dumb Ways to Die -McCann Melbourne
- Radio – Copywriting: Dumb Ways to Die – McCann Melbourne
- Radio – Best Use of Music: Dumb Ways to Die -McCann Melbourne
- Direct Marketing – Integrated Solutions: Driving Dogs – FCB New Zealand
- Direct Marketing – Integrated Solutions: Dumb Ways to Die -McCann Melbourne
- Digital – Digital Campaign – Charity: Dumb Ways to Die - McCann Melbourne