Opinion | Features
What does a receptionist in an ad agency actually do?
The television sports rights bidding process is a bit like a game of poker.
Good afternoon, I can remember distinctly the last time I was in this room.
Cosmo’s Kate Leaver tells us how to bluff it in her job in a feature that first appeared in Encore.
What do you do, as a features editor?
Who is the most powerful person in Australian media and why?
Union: News Limited redundancy numbers are a mystery
The level of redundancies at News Limited remains “a mystery” despite today’s announcement by CEO Kim Williams, journalists’ union the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance has warned.
However, the union welcomed the company’s signal that it appears to be more committed to the print medium than Fairfax Media which this week announced its plans to close two press sites.
In a statement, the union said: “Today’s News Limited announcement of a restructure of the business with an ongoing commitment to print and digital products has been welcomed by the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance. However, because the depth and extent of its planned redundancies during the restructure remain a mystery, this will continue to concern staff operating in a volatile and uncertain environment.”
While Fairfax Media – obliged to offer a higher level of transparency because of its listing on the ASX – revealed that it plans 1,900 redundancies, Williams has declined to give a number, although some speculation has put it close to Fairfax’s numbers.
Paul Murphy, acting federal secretary of the Alliance, said: “While the devil is still in the detail, and we are clearly concerned about the extent of redundancies being flagged by the company, we appreciate that News Limited is carefully considering its future and how it comes to grips with the ongoing transition to digital platforms.”
He also warned against the implications of the publisher’s “one city, one newsroom” strategy for each state when it comes to suburban papers.
He said: “News Limited readers, particularly of the suburban papers, are passionate about their local newspaper. They believe their paper belongs to them. Any restructure of the News Limited business must ensure that local content remains the driving force behind its newspapers.”
- Francesca on Shine Australia to produce Australian version of Embarrassing Bodies
- News Monter on Media Watch to Ten: ‘You’re prostitutes’; Ten to Holmes: ‘You’re naive’
- Andrew Duffy on Media Watch to Ten: ‘You’re prostitutes’; Ten to Holmes: ‘You’re naive’
- Eh? on Media Watch to Ten: ‘You’re prostitutes’; Ten to Holmes: ‘You’re naive’
- mumbrella on Radio ratings – Sydney: 2Day FM back on top
- just sayin on Media Watch to Ten: ‘You’re prostitutes’; Ten to Holmes: ‘You’re naive’
- Annie Chickenstalker on Radio ratings – Sydney: 2Day FM back on top
- Digital Account Manager :: To $85k+super+comms :: Fantastic company
- Internal Sales Executive / inspiring environment, team and business
- Mid Weight Digital Producer
- User Experience Interactive Designer
- Mid Senior Digital Creative
- Tech Lead/Senior Developer
- Account Manager | Truly innovative client | $65k inc
- Business Development Manager
- Account Manager – Leading Media Company (ROUND8)
- Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride! $90-$100k Senior Producer
- Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards finalists announced
- Salar Kamangar selected as Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year 2013.
- Reprise Media poaches Google’s Ale Vendramin
- Katherine Floyd appointed advertising director of 10 and 10 Men
- From Mad Men to Bag Men: Frustrations of account managers under discussion
- Vivid Ideas includes workshops on women and Youtube
- Easy listening smoothfm celebrates first birthday this week
- Twentieth Century Fox appoints new sales director Kerry Morelli
- Ladies, could we shut the **** up?
With 115 comments
- You don’t need money to make video
With 65 comments
- 7-Eleven says no to coffee snobs
With 62 comments
- Why ladies shouldn't shut the **** up
With 59 comments
- British PM has sex with pig in ad campaign for Foxtel's arts channel Studio
With 51 comments
- Encore on tablet: ‘massive mistake’ or ahead of the curve?
With 34 comments
- An answer for Adam: What's the future for creatives?
With 33 comments
- Foxtel apologises for 'lapse of judgement' over bestiality billboard and takes it down
With 32 comments
- Ladies, could we shut the **** up?