Watch the most popular session of Mumbrella360 featuring Joe Talcott on the broken agency relationship
The marketing veteran – whose experience includes seven years at News Limited and 17 years at McDonald’s – shared anecdotes on negotiating backstage with Steve Jobs on the day Apple launched iTunes, and set out the changing media landscape.
In a delegate feedback survey after Mumbrella 360, the session, which was also curated by Talcott, received the highest score of the conference’s 60 sessions, while Talcott was scored as the most engaging of the event’s 200 speakers.
Joining Talcott on stage were Sandra Hook, former NewsLifeMedia CEO; Marion Bess, MD of Droga5; and Tara Lordsmith, GM of marketing for Simplot Australia.
In the video highlights, Talcott discusses:
- Why agencies are idiots
- Why marketers are idiots
- And why media owners go along with both
- Why you should own the media relationship
- Why ‘respect’ shouldn’t be something earned, it should be a starting point
- Sandra Hook on reasonable briefing
- Marion Bess on why the best agency collaborations are yet to come
- Tara Lordsmith on getting agencies to take ownership of the brand
You can hear the full conversation and audience Q&A on the Mumbrellacast:
- Mumbrella360 returns on June 5 and 6, 2013.
You can also subscribe to The Mumbrellacast on iTunes and other podcatchers.