Web-based series Plonk exploring the NSW wine region releases first episode
Plonk, a behind-the-scenes comedy web series following the trials of a TV crew as they create a wine show, has had its first episode debut online.
The web series, featuring The Chaser’s Chris Taylor and created by Nathan Earl and Glen Condie, explores the NSW wine region with each episode of the five-part series highlighting a different area.
The series has been supported by the NSW government through Destination NSW.
Destination NSW CEO Sandra Chipchase said in a statement: “This series showcases some of our state’s most stunning and inspiring countryside through the eyes of these great characters. They have light-heartedly put the spotlight on our regional wine and tourism experiences that are vital to our state’s visitor economy and at the same time made everyone who watches laugh.”
The ensemble cast includes Chris Taylor, Nathan Earl and Josh Tyler who play comedic caricatures of themselves and is directed and co-written by Earl. Condie is the series executive producer and creative director.
In a statement, Earl said: “Glen and myself have been blown away by the wine industry’s level of excitement and support for Plonk. We’ve always seen the show as a comedic love letter to an industry which has given us plenty of great nights, long lunches and weekends to remember.
“Like a great wine Plonk is destined to arrive with hope and anticipation, deliver nuanced flavours and provide memorable experiences then eventually become sluggish and flat with age.”
A new episode will be released every day this week.
- EPISODE 1 – Monday 10th Feb The Plonk team start their first day of filming just outside Canberra in the wine region of Murrumbateman and are tasked with including some local female winemakers.
- EPISODE 2 – Tuesday 11th Feb The Plonk team head north to the Hunter Valley where they have secured an exclusive interview with wine legend Bruce Tyrrell, or at least the team thinks.
- EPISODE 3 – Wednesday 12th Feb Determined to salvage some content from the Hunter Valley, the Plonk team secure a meeting with Semillon guru Andrew Thomas.
- EPISODE 4 – Thursday 13th Feb Kicking off their shoot above beautiful Mudgee in a hot air balloon, team Plonk decide to attend a wine appreciation night held by local winemaker David Lowe.
- EPISODE 5 – Friday 14th Feb Team Plonk are now in Orange where Chris attempts to show off his wine matching skills in front of Racine Restaurant Chef Shaun Arantz.