Originally from the construction industry, Matt Carroll’s career as a sports executive stretches over 24 years’, taking in all aspects of sports administration. He has worked in three sports as a senior manager, including Chief Executive Officer, with roles encompassing grass roots sport development, professional leagues, national and international organisations and global sporting events. Matt Carroll’s career to date;
- Rugby Director NSW Rugby Union (1991-1995)-responsible for representative and club rugby.
- General Manager, Rugby Australian Rugby Union (1995-1999) -Forefront of establishing the professional game in Australia including setting up Super Rugby and Tri Nations competitions.
- Chief Executive Officer Waratahs and NSW Rugby Union (2000-2001)-successfully led the financial turnaround of the business.
- General Manager Rugby World Cup (2002-2003)-led the team that staged one of the most successful sporting events held in Australia and set the benchmark for future World Cups.
- Inaugural Head of the A-League and Head of Community Football, Football Federation Australia (2004-2006) -establishing Australia’s first fully professional football competition and managing significant changes to the structure of community football and relationship with the professional game.
- Deputy CEO, Australian Rugby Union (2007-2012)-Responsible for rugby’s commercial program, broadcast rights and management of Test and Super Rugby competitions.
- Interim Chief Operating Officer, Japanese Organising Committee for Rugby World Cup 2019 (2013-2014) – based in Tokyo leading the master planning, budget drafting and establishing the organisation structure for the Tournament.
- Chief Executive Officer, Australian Sailing (2014-2017) – Led the ground breaking organisational reforms in sport, changing Sailing from a federated model to a national structure to build Sailing’s future sustainably and success.
Matt was appointed Chief Executive Officer of the Australian Olympic Committee May 2017.
• Member of the Order of Australia for services to rugby union, in particular, the staging of Rugby World Cup 2003
• Sports Medal for services to rugby union
• Bachelor of Building, University of New South Wales
• Graduate Diploma in Sport Administration, University of Technology Sydney
Australian Commonwealth Games Association
• Board of Management (1997 -2002 & 2007 -2013)
• Investment Committee (1997 -2002)
• Board Member, NSW Rugby Union (1988-1991)
• Chairman, Sydney Rugby Union (1989-1990)
• Council Member, Australia Rugby Union (1989 -1991)
• President & Committee Member, Mosman Rugby Club (1981 -1991)