Pedestrian TV and Allure merge, with Jason Scott to depart

Allure Media CEO Jason Scott is leaving the business, as it prepares to combine with Nine’s youth publisher, Pedestrian TV.

Staff at Allure Media – which owns titles such as Popsugar, Gizmodo and Business Insider – were informed this morning.

Jason Scott will leave the business

Allure Media, a specialist publishing arm, was owned by Fairfax Media, but as of Monday came under Nine ownership. It was initially launched in Australia by Nine’s new publishing boss, Chris Janz. Five years ago, Scott was appointed to the helm. Meanwhile, Nine acquired a 60% in Pedestrian for $10m, in 2015, and this year bought the remainder 40% for $39m.

Outside of Scott, most of the redundancies are in the commercial team, and are part of the 92 already announced by Nine last week. Nine confirmed executive editor of women’s lifestyle, Amanda Bardas and group publisher of business and technology, Paul Colgan would remain with the business. Former group publisher of Popsugar, Who What Wear, Byrdie and MyDomaine Australia, Alison Rice, left the business in September.

Pedestrian TV is one of the contributors to Nine’s digital publishing growth. Allure Media’s assets will now be folded into the business

The wider Pedestrian TV Group will now be run by Pedestrian founders Oscar Martin and Chris Wirasinha, with all staff to be relocated to Pedestrian TV’s offices by January. Wirasinha and Martin will report directly to Janz.

“The past 13 years have been a wild ride for Pedestrian and we’re pumped to welcome Allure Media into the family to create a clear publishing leader for marketers wanting to target young Aussies,” said Wirasinha.

“The combination of the brands alongside Pedestrian’s existing commercial relationships that include Tinder and Big Flick Energy, and our new exciting TV partnership with 9Go, will give advertisers unprecedented opportunities to reach more millennials and Gen Zers than ever before.”

Following the release of Nine’s latest financial results, CEO Hugh Marks described the now combined digital assets – Car Advice, Pedestrian TV, Allure Media and Future Women – as profit boosters.

Revenue from digital publishing was up from $119m last year to $125m for Nine, an increase of 5%.

“You’ve got Allure and Pedestrian and 9Honey. You’ve got obviously have our news brand and the Fairfax news brands – all diverse and all will be invested in,” Marks said at the time.

“There’ll be some games to be got just from a) strategy, b) sales strategy and c) hopefully some cost efficiency and making sure that we are not double spending on things. It’s another bright part of the business probably into 2020.”

The announcement comes a day after Nine’s first day of trading with the Fairfax assets. It also follows the announcement of the newly combined sales team.


Get the latest media and marketing industry news (and views) direct to your inbox.

Sign up to the free Mumbrella newsletter now.



Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing.