News

Senior Seven journalist sacked following allegations of ‘inappropriate conduct’

Channel Seven’s veteran crime reporter and occasional newsreader, Robert Ovadia, has been sacked by the network following allegations of “inappropriate conduct”.

Ovadia confirmed the news to The Australian on Friday morning.

“Yes I’ve been sacked and there will be more to say about that in the appropriate forum at the appropriate time,” he told The Australian.

Earlier this month, Ovadia was put on leave while the network conducted an internal investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour involving emails with a former Seven female employee.

At the time, Ovadia described the allegation as “malicious” and said he wasn’t aware of any complaints made against him by former or current Seven staff.

“Any suggestion I have been inappropriate at any time is false, malicious and will be defended,” he said earlier this month.

Ovadia spent 23 years at the television network.

The news comes after a string of controversies that Seven has endured in recent times, including an expenses scandal investigation and a former Spotlight producer claiming the media giant paid for drugs, sex workers and more to secure an interview with Bruce Lehrmann.

Amidst the controversies, then-CEO James Warburton stepped down effectively immediately and was replaced by Jeff Howard.

Mumbrella has contacted Seven for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Get the latest media and marketing industry news (and views) direct to your inbox.

Sign up to the free Mumbrella newsletter now.

 

SUBSCRIBE

Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing.