Foxtel Media, Essence test new measurement methodology for cross-platform advertising

Foxtel Media and digital media agency, Essence, have today revealed the results of a FoxTest project, to create and test a new measurement methodology for a cross-platform advertising campaign.

The methodology aimed to identify the unique reach that can be achieved using a combination of linear television, Kayo, Foxtel GO, and Fox Venues to drive incremental audiences.

The new methodology was created using a mix of measurement standards; OzTam readings were used for linear TV measurements, Nielsen ratings for Fox Venues and an ad-ratio formula was coupled with Streamotion device insights for the streaming measurements.

It uncovered the live sport viewing patterns of passionate sports audiences, showing that while TV is still key among total audiences, streaming and venues are successfully delivering for the males aged 25-54 segment. The test proved that AFL and NRL returned a significant incremental reach of 36% and 27% across streaming platforms, respectively.

Across both AFL and NRL, Fox Venues also helped to deliver an average of 34% incremental reach across eight games, highlighting how the platform successfully captured sports enthusiasts outside of the subscription eco-system.

These standout results were achieved by supercharging Essence’s existing buy for a renowned national brand throughout April for Live NRL and AFL activity on linear STV, Kayo, Foxtel Go and Fox Venues, with spots being locked into Fox Sports-produced games.

In October last year, Foxtel Media launched an ad experimentation platform Foxtest during its upfront.

Representing an investment of $3 million, Foxtest sees the company partner with brands to run experiments across advertising content, experience, and data.

Brisbane sales director at Foxtel Media, Katherine Frost, told Mumbrella: “As more clients lean into our FoxTest capabilities, the further we can evolve our offering. Our exercise with Essence has allowed a holistic, cross-platform view of the delivery that Foxtel platforms are capable of with sports viewing. The measurement methodology we have created is truly unique and the insights gleaned will go a long way with helping us to advise brands about advertising budget splits and creative execution.”

Client partner at Essence, Jason Kendal, added: “The results supported our understanding that viewership is fragmenting and there is an opportunity to build reach through a multi-platform approach. With the combination of Foxtel platforms, we were able to demonstrate that in addition to the majority reach achieved by television, streaming platforms added an additional 30-35% and FOX Venues added 30%, overall providing a 60-65% uplift in incremental audience for our key demographic of Men aged 24 to 54.”


Get the latest media and marketing industry news (and views) direct to your inbox.

Sign up to the free Mumbrella newsletter now.



Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing.