News

Morning Update: Fox News CEO resigns; Facebook Live doubles stream time; Slate: ‘native ads are half our revenue’

roger ailes - fox news - hoover channel - youtube

AdWeek: It’s Official: Roger Ailes Resigns From Fox News Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

After a flurry of bizarre reports earlier this week, confirmed then quickly denied, about Roger Ailes’ exit from Fox News, it’s now official: The chairman and CEO is departing the top-ranked cable news network he co-founded in 1996.

Ailes has resigned, effective immediately, 21st Century Fox announced. Rupert Murdoch, executive chairman of 21st Century Fox, will take over as chairman and acting CEO of Fox News and Fox Business Network.Facebook Live mobile phone live streamVentureBeat: Facebook Live now lets you stream up to 4 hours of video

Facebook has begun rolling out several updates to its live-streaming capability this week. People and Page administrators will now be able to broadcast longer with Facebook Live — up to four hours per session, along with being able to do so in full screen and video-only mode. These options are intended to benefit both the creator and the viewer and are set to be released more broadly “in the coming weeks.”Slate

Digiday: Slate now relies on native ads for nearly 50% of its revenue

Every publisher today wants to wean themselves off display advertising. For mid-sized publishers relying on banners won’t cut it. Slate has made this is a priority, and it now says native ads are almost half of its total revenue.

The online politics and culture publication accomplished this with putting native at the center of its sales strategy rather than treating it as an add-on. Advertising supplies 90% of revenue, and native is half of that. Display and podcast advertising still accounts for the other half, although Slate expects display dollars to move towards programmatic, following the industry shift. (The remaining 10 percent comes from other sources like the Slate Plus membership program.)

 

Havas Media

Ad Week: Samsung Combines the World’s Anthems Into One Beautiful Song for Rio 2016

The world’s national anthems come together to form a song of international unity in Samsung’s latest Olympics spot.

From Leo Burnett Chicago and Leo Burnett Sydney, the new TV and digital spot does more than just promote the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. At a time when the world feels like a scary, fragile place, it focuses on bringing people together at one of the world’s biggest events.

Mumbrella Asia: Actor and model Travis Kraft on how he built a YouTube following in the Philippines

Travis Kraft is an American model, actor and filmmaker who has developed a large YouTube following in the Philippines. In this guest article, Kraft tells the story of how he built an audience, and the challenges of working with brands. 

I went to Eastern Michigan University on a wrestling scholarship and was planning on becoming an actor when I graduated, so I was going to major in theatre. But I quickly realised that I was into movies not plays, so I became a film major and graduated with a degree in film still thinking I was only going to act, and that I would never actually put my degree to use.

Reddit

Recode: Reddit is shaking up management in its latest reorganization

Over the last few months, Reddit executives have been talking enthusiastically to the press about their new plans to make the social news service into “a real business.”

But behind the scenes over the past few weeks, it has been making some key personnel changes, which has caused some level of new “turmoil,” as one source described it. Management upheaval is not new for Reddit, although more recently it has had a period of executive-level stability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Get the latest media and marketing industry news (and views) direct to your inbox.

Sign up to the free Mumbrella newsletter now.

 

SUBSCRIBE

Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing.