Seven has appointed former editor of the Herald Sun and Sunday Herald Sun, Simon Pristel to director of news, Seven Melbourne.
Pristel replaces Steve Carey, who will take a break from the news desk, the network said.
Pristel resigned after a four-year stint with Herald Sun earlier this month.
The news comes after Seven News was beaten by Nine News in 22 straight rating weeks in Melbourne.
Managing director of Seven Melbourne, Lewis Martin said: “No job is more demanding than leading a news team. The fierce competition to be first and fresh is unrelenting. In this environment, Steve always cared about his people and getting the story to air before anyone else. He leaves a team with a history of success and well-placed to continue that success. Steve is to be congratulated on everything he has achieved.”
Carey said: “I’ve had a great run, we’ve broken a lot of stories and had a lot of success, but nothing is forever. It’s time to catch my breath and have some time with my family,”
Martin added: “Simon arrives at Channel Seven at a perfect time. News is vital to our Melbourne viewers. Simon’s passion and skills in this area, together with his proven leadership ability, will provide an environment of success essential to the future of news delivery across a multi-platform environment.”
Pristel said the role was an opportunity to bring his 23 years of experience to TV.