VB’s long awaited new advertising campaign – The Regulars – has finally been unveiled – and it’s no longer the drink for when you’vd got a hard-earned thirst.
The work is the biggest campaign yet from the Sydney outpost of Droga5, which launched after David Nobay departed Saatchi & Saatchi two years ago.
Filmed in Ballarat with a cast of 1500, it features a march of comical archetypal Aussie men. They include:
- “Blokes punching above their weight”
- “Men who’ve had their arm in a cow”
- “Guys who peaked in high school”
- “Meat tray winners”
- “Blokes who’ve done the phantom”
- “The manscapers”
- “Guys who claim to have punched a shark”
- “The Brewers”
- “The miniature bat signers”
The ad airs on TV for the first time tonight during the first drinks break of The Ashes coverage on SBS. It includes cameos from Michael Clarke, Wally Lewis, Paul De Gelder, Scott Cam, Molly Meldrum, Peter Russell Clarke, Dean Jones, Michael Klim, Billy Brownless and Greg Evans.
Nobay said: “What was clear to us from the start is that VB is the great leveller – that’s what makes it such a quintessential Aussie brand. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or wear, when you pick up VB you become a part of something authentic. Our creative challenge was to amplify that in a way that is equally authentic, Australian and real. The result is the ‘The Regulars’ and as a team it’s work we’re really proud of.”
VB’s “hard-earned thirst” tagline has been axed, to be replaced by “VB – The Drinking Beer”. VB also has its own brand website for the first time, including a live webcam showing the production line. As well as TV, the campaign will run in print, radio, outdoor, online and at point of sale.
Peter Sinclair, Marketing Director of Carlton and United Breweries, said: “This new campaign is another step forward for VB and will play an integral role in driving the brand’s future growth.”
- Creative Agency Droga5
- Creative Chairman David Nobay
- Creative Credits Cameron Blackley and Matty Burton
- Agency Producer Paul Johnston
- Director Gary Freedman, The Glue Society
- Director of Photography Danny Ruhlmann
- Production Company @radicalmedia
- Producer Cath Anderson
- Production Manager Clare Shervington
- Marketing Director CUB Peter Sinclair
- Group Marketing Manager VB Paul Donaldson
- Senior Brand Manager VB Scott McGregor