Woolworths has unveiled the first work from newly appointed lead creative agency Leo Burnett Sydney.
Focusing on the supermarket’s red spot specials, the pre-roll campaign sees the roof of a Woolworths open up and a giant red hot air balloon take off from a hidden launch pad, accompanied by the theme tune from 1960s animated TV series Thunderbirds.
In the original TV series of Thunderbirds, the Thunderbirds fleet launched from a hidden base on Tracy Island.
The campaign sees the supermarket bring back its red spot specials, which promote various discounts throughout the store, due to “popular demand”.
In March Leo Burnett Sydney were added to the supermarket’s creative roster, taking the lead agency position from Droga5 on May 1.
The use of red in its campaign sees Woolworths move back into rival Coles’ territory after a period predominantly focusing on its own brand colour of green.
The move to Leos coincided with Woolworths hiring former Coles executive Tony Phillips as its chief marketing officer.
The Thunderbirds-inspired retro feel is extended to art direction of the campaign including the use of starbursts to highlight the offers.
- Agency: Leo Burnett Australia
- Creative Director: Scott Hignett
- Creative Team: Dave O’Sullivan / Grant McGrath
- Agency producer: Renata Barbosa
- Business Director: Courtney Robertson
- Production: Rapid Films
- Client: Woolworths Limited
- Chief Marketing Officer: Tony Phillips
- Head of Campaign Management: Karen Madden
- Campaign Manager: Amanda Burwood