In the latest of a series we present highlights from the 2015 Mumbrella360 conference.
Kerry Taylor Mumbrella360 2015
In ‘Make a Fucking Effort, Pet’ Kerry Taylor, senior VP, Youth and Music, Viacom International Media Networks, reveals how MTV UK and Ireland adapted its programming from music videos to creating unique content such as reality television shows like Geordie Shore, music events, and one-off user experiences to become the UK’s most popular music broadcaster for seven consecutive years and how Australian brands, both big and small, can better understand the most researched, engaged and fickle market segment of consumers, aged 18-32.
Timeline of session:
- 0:00 Kerry Taylor, keynote speaker, Mumbrella360 2015, introduces herself
- 0:50 MTV – globally and in Australia; an introduction
- 3:40 Millennials – who are they and how do you connect with them?
- 7:30 What does the Millennial generation want from brands?
- 8:50 Why TV has never been more important
- 9:40 The changing definition of ‘content’
- 10:10 “Millennials want to see their own lives reflected back at them on TV”
- 11:30 TV is the go-to conversation topic on social media; focus on reality TV and music
- 12:00 How to build brand love with Millennials using 5 principals
- 17:30 Why a poster and 30 second spot is no guarantee of success
- 18:00 The success behind the Match Machine app; using new media platforms
- 19:30 “Experiences are more important than material possessions”
- 24:00 Creating one-off daily content in response to social media input
- 26:26 Creating Australia-only creative campaigns
- 28:55 “We must innovate at the speed of Millennials or we risk losing them”
- 29:30 Presentation concludes, Mumbrella questions begin
- 33:30 “While the challenges remain the same for teens/20s of all eras the way to solve them is more different than ever”
- 35:39 “We’re happy to fail as a brand when we’re trying new things”
- 35:50 Questions from the floor
- 36:20 How can legacy brands move faster to embrace new technologies?
- 37:00 Disruptive businesses: using your own company to test your business model
- 39:00 Working with other brands and partners
- 41:20 Communicating with partners that don’t like MTV’s content
- 43:30 Does MTV see a future in music videos, post-Spotify?
- 44:00 Guest Presentation concludes
Visit the Mumbrella360 website via this link.
Video edited by 90 Seconds cloud video production
Mumbrella360 takes place between June 7-9. Earlybird tickets are now on sale until April 15, offering savings of up t0 $700.
See sessions announced so far and book your place here.