Aldi has ditched its surfing Santas for its Christmas campaign this year, opting instead to tell the story of Johan who returns home to his small snow covered village Julbacken after a trip to Australia to tell of a summer Christmas, with the village soon coming around to celebrating Christmas in the Aussie-tradition with Aldi-selected produce.
The two-minute long spot, created by BMF, chronicles the village’s disgust at the idea of an Aussie Christmas, including prawns, cricket and surfing, with the spot paying subtle homage to the surfing Santas work. It aims to put to bed the idea that a white Christmas is the norm or the perfect Christmas.
BMF creative director Alex Booker said: “Like any Aussie kid, I’ve grown up feeling our Christmas was inferior to that of our Northern Hemisphere brethren with their trademark white Christmas.
“It’s time we showed them what it’s like to have an Aussie Christmas and prove that it might just be the perfect way to celebrate Christmas. After all, who can resist a few Aldi prawns and lobster tails after a quick surf and some backyard cricket… even if you have no idea what you’re doing”.
Complementing the 2-minute long spot are product spots featuring members of Johan’s village talking about what makes a perfect Aussie Christmas.
The campaign, which launched on TV over the weekend, is supported with outdoor, radio, catalogue, digital, social, print and point-of-sale.
The Christmas campaign launch follows on from Kmart, Target,David Jones, Westfield and Bonds rolling out their respective Christmas marketing campaigns.
- Executive Creative Director: Cam Blackley
- Creative Director: Alex Booker
- Art Director: Alex Booker
- Copywriter: Mark Carbone & Philip Sicklinger
- Planning: Christina Aventi
- Managing Partner: Stephen McArdle
- Group Account Director: Jonny Bucknall
- Account Director: Aisling Salmaggi
- Account Manager: Siena Shuttler
- Designer: Lincoln Grice
- Agency Producer: Jenny Lee-Archer & Mandy Payne
- Director: The Glue Society (Gary Freedman)
- Producer: Pip Smart & Ian Iveson
- Executive Producer: Michael Ritchie & Pip Smart
- Production Company: Revolver
- Post Production: Method
- VFX Supervisor: Jason Hawkins
- Editor 2′, 60″ & 30″: Peter Sciberras
- Editor 15″ Suga Suppiah
- Music: Elliot Wheeler Turning Studios
- Sound Production: Rumble Studios
- DoP: Julian Hohndorf
- Advertising and PR Director: Sam Viney