Brian Carlton rises from the ashes at 2UE as Peter Berner quits

Former 2GB and Triple M figure Brian “The Spoonman” Carlton today signed on with beleaguered 2UE just days after Tweeting “after 29 years its goodbye to the media, I’m done” and later telling Mumbrella  “it’s time to go off and utilise my skills somewhere (else).”

Staff at the Fairfax radio station were told Carlton had been employed to produce Jason Morrison’s new drive program. Mumbrella understands that the reaction was very positive with Carlton a highly regarded radio operator.

But Mumbrella has also learned that the good news was balanced with another negative to hit 2UE, with weekend afternoon host Peter Berner quitting, apparently upset due to turmoil at the station.

The shock Carlton announcement came just a day before  the talk station 2UE will announce its new line up with the focus on who – and it is expected she will be female – will co-host the ambitious breakfast slot to be led by Ian “Dicko” Dickson.

Station boss Chris Parker – who also marks one year in the job tomorrow – was left scrambling by Kathryn Robinson after she reversed her decision to co-host with Dickson.

Parker told Mumbrella he was always speaking to potential hosts and had been able to find a replacement for Robinson fairly quickly – and would announce who it was in a mid-morning statement.

“One of the things you have to do in this job is continually talk to people, and for instance I spoke to two potential hosts yesterday who won’t be part of our plans for 2013,” he told Mumbrella’s Marcus Casey.

“The speculation about who will be Dicko’s partner will end tomorrow, and there will be a great sigh of relief.”

But Mumbrella understands there won’t be many such sighs among staff – especially several producers who have not been assigned to shows and hosts wondering who will be running their off-air ships and coordinating shows when the new line up starts on Monday.

One off air staffer said “it remains chaos and we’re wondering what the hell will happen on Monday.”

Dickson did not return calls today, so it’s not known how he feels about the recent events or his new co-host.

What is known is that Paul Murray moves from drive to mornings in a new start at 8.30am instead of 9am, and broadcast his show from The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsroom.

He will be followed at 11.30 by John Stanley – also at the Herald – hosting a half hour business show. Stanley will continue his weekend breakfast shows, meaning he will work seven days a week.

Stuart Bocking will host noon to 3pm, followed by Jason Morrison in drive from 3pm to 6pm.

Parker revealed Sports Today will now run seven nights a week, with Murray Olds understood to being courted to host the weekend editions.

“Murray is still considering his options,” Parker said.

Olds’ former partner Murray Wilton will host the weeknight  8pm slot.

Marcus Casey



Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing