In the lead-up to Mumbrella360 on June 7-9, we revisit highlights from last year’s event.
(l-r): John Batistich, Keith Hernandez, Aaron Michie, Sebastien Eckersley-Maslin, Mel Greig
Winning By Losing – turning obstacles into victories
Panel: Moderated by ZenithOptimedia CIO Aaron Michie.
Featuring: Mel Greig (radio DJ); John Batistich (Westfield chief marketer); Keith Hernandez (director of brand strategy, BuzzFeed); Sebastien Eckersley-Maslin (founder, BlueChilli).
During the discussion former 2DayFM announcer Mel Greig, who was caught up in the Royal prank phone call scandal, talks openly about coming back from an unforeseen tragedy. Michie, Hernandez, Batistich and Eckersley-Maslin share professional experienced and how other advertising, media and tech leaders managed to move on with their careers:
- 0:00 Introduction by Aaron Michie
- 2:00 Keith Hernandez, BuzzFeed: advertising, video and user commentary as editorial guidance
- 5:00 Mel Grieg: the 2DayFM Royal Prank disaster
- 8:00 John Batistich: Carlton Cold vs Hahn Ice – competitor vs. customer focus
- 10:50 Sebastien Eckersley-Maslin: EDMs, egos and evolution
- 14:30 Failure is inevitable and unavoidable – what to do when it happens
- 16:30 The Golden Rooster – biggest cock-up award
- 17:20 The executable command that deleted an entire server; preventing recurrence
- 18:40 “Failing is not an option” – changing the prevailing mindset
- 20:20 Failing early vs failing late – pre-mortem battle plans
- 25:45 The good and bad press release
- 27:00 Sure-fire winners vs waterfall and agile: learn & release
- 31:00 95% of first-time businesses fail in the first year – managing expectations
- 34:00 Purposeful learning
- 36:30 The five questions to ask after failure
- 38:30 Elmo-gate
- 43:30 Presentation concludes
Mumbrella360 takes place between June 7-9. Early-bird tickets are on sale until April 15, offering savings of up to $700.