News Limited has this morning announced the closure of opinion website The Punch.
In the coming weeks the website url will be redirected to news.com.au with opinion content now to be pushed across News Limited’s websites through its national news desk.
Editor of The Punch Tory Maguire told Mumbrella: “We were the first mainstream media player in this space. Obviously we did it differently to the way that other media outlets did as a separate stand alone site, rather than integrated.”
“It allowed us to be innovative, cheeky and have a lot of fun in a way that our competitors weren’t able to do,” she said.
“What this is, is a recognition that the atmosphere that we brought to The Punch is something that has been received really well and therefore the networks wants to be able to take advantage of it fully.”
Staff at The Punch had already been redeployed across News.com.au and the News Limited national news desk.
In a move similar to Fairfax’s National Times approach Punch pieces will now be published across various News Limited sites with a “breaking views” tagline.
The announcement was made the morning in a post on the website:
“After four years of excellent fun and great conversation, this is the final post we’ll be publishing on The Punch.”
“A lot has changed since we launched in 2009 in the way Australians consume news and opinion.
“The little Punch team joined the much bigger integrated News Limited team last year and now our Punch content is joining in too. Punch posts will now be published under the new brand Punch Breaking Views across News Limited’s huge digital news network.
“That means you’ll see us pop up on news.com.au, dailytelegraph.com.au, heraldsun.com.au, couriermail.com.au, adelaidenow.com.au and perthnow.com.au.”
The Punch was founded by former editor of The Daily Telegraph David Penberthy in 2009. At the time Penberthy described it as experiment designed to “celebrate journalism”.
Penberthy was recently appointed editor of Adelaide’s Sunday Mail.