In the lead-up to Mumbrella360 on June 7-9, we revisit highlights from last year’s event.
In one of Mumbrella360’s most unusual sessions, four senior chief marketers reveal what they love and loathe about their creative agencies – while hidden behind a screen.
Among the observations covered off by the four – dubbed Mr Travel, Mr Retail, Miss Finance and Mr Alcohol – by session convenor and founder of New Business Methodology Julia Vargiu – were candid views and observations about dodgy practices, lazy work and supreme levels of services, leaving many in the audience wondering if it was them being talked about.
Moderator: Julia Vargiu, founder, New Business Methodologies
- 0:00 Introduction
- 2:00 Meet the 4 panellists: Mr Travel, Mr Retail, Miss Finance and Mr Alcohol
- 4:00 Do all agencies sound the same and how can agencies stand out from the crowd?
- 6:50 What did an agency do to win a piece of your business without pitching?
- 11:30 Being understood makes relationships grow: how to make it work
- 13:30 Learn the language of the company you hope to work with
- 14:30 The best agency relationship I have ever had
- 16:00 Agencies need to offer more dialogue than just creative remit: less pictures, more data
- 18:00 What do you know about what your agencies are doing that they think you don’t know?
- 20:00 Agencies are prone to overcompensating
- 21:00 Adding ‘the purple duck’ to creative
- 22:00 What makes the relationship between you and an agency get stale?
- 23:00 The disappearance of senior staff from pitch to junior staff once the account is won
- 25:00 Stop sweating the small stuff; consider partner swapping or ‘the prisoner exchange’
- 27:00 What happened to cause you to fire your agency?
- 30:00 “If you want to pay peanuts you get monkeys and it all goes shitty”
- 31:50 “The only thing we charge an agency for is time and expertise”
- 33:00 Don’t lowball to win the business and then revise up – be honest about what you need
- 34:20 How many agencies have really understood your business?
- 35:09 Clients often need help with implementation
- 36:00 Clients need to pick the right agencies and give them what they need to succeed
- 41:30 Presentation concludes
Related: ‘If you pay peanuts you’ll get monkeys and it will get shitty’ says secret CMO
Mumbrella360 takes place between June 7-9. Early-bird tickets are on sale until April 15, offering savings of up to $700.