‘Rules of media, marketing and PR are being rewritten’, says Red Agency’s Predictions 2017 report

Businesses, brands and PR agencies will face a new set of challenges in 2017 as the rules of media, marketing and corporate reputation continue to evolve, according to Red Agency’s latest Predictions

“The rules of media, marketing and corporate reputation are being rewritten, consumer behaviour and technology are evolving in step, and our space is moving faster than ever. Digital-driven disruption is changing the marketing, media and PR playbook for everything from customer experience and publishing to the meaning of truth,” the report claims.

The document, created by the PR agency, outlines the need for brands to more closely integrate their marketing and PR functions in order to stay ahead of product disruption.

The report predicts digital will be the main source of PR campaign coverage, accounting for 90%, with traditional media covering the other highly important 10%.

The report states: “Traditional media will be worth its weight in gold if your brand is one of the six main news stories rinsed and repeated throughout the day.”

As digital channels grow, advertisers must use a higher level of integration to reach consumers by implementing analytics, technology and augmented reality to help create the full customer service ‘experience’, says the predictions report.

Despite the proliferation of digital, personalisation will be “everything”, the report says, with personalised messages that leverage technology set to help integrate brands’ messages and deliver deeper engagement levels.

With influencer marketing set to maintain its popularity within the industry, the need to measure its effectiveness was emphasised – the report found 75% of brands use influencers with 50% of those brands struggling to measure its success.

‘Crowdsourced truth’ was also listed as a trend set to appear this year, with the report explaining that, in the post-truth world, “facts are less influential than emotion”.

Other trends for this year include: cognitive – the mind behind the message, the need for speed and delivering consumers with instant responses; and the use of Snapchat – which last year overtook Facebook in video views.


Get the latest media and marketing industry news (and views) direct to your inbox.

Sign up to the free Mumbrella newsletter now.



Sign up to our free daily update to get the latest in media and marketing.