In the lead-up to Mumbrella360 on June 7-9, we revisit highlights from last year’s event.
Lead the change: The role of the media in reconciliation
In a discussion led by Media RING (Media Reconciliation Industry Network Group) board member and EP Recruitment boss Patricia Powell-Hughes, the panel will discuss what role the media industry plays in reconciliation and why it’s so important.
Panel: Karen Mundine, deputy CEO of Reconciliation Australia, Ella Archibald-Binge of SBS, Mayrah Sonter of 33 Creative, Shini de Silva from National Centre for Indigenous Excellence (NCIE).
- 0:00 Introduction by Patricia Powell-Hughes
- 2:30 Karen Mundine: what does Reconciliation Australia do?
- 4:23 Stats on Indigenous and non Indigenous Australian interaction
- 7:00 Developing a reconciliation action plan
- 9:30 Ella Archibald-Binge on the benefits of government programs such as SBS’s Living Black
- 12:45 Shini de Silva on the role of NCIE
- 18:00 Mayrah Sonter on her positive experiences
- 24:00 Audience questions about RAP plans
- 26:00 How to innovate and change the conversation
- 28:00 Diversity in the media and entertainment industries
- 35:12 Positive focus vs being singled out
- 36:00 Archie Roach’s story
- 38:00 Appropriating Indigenous art: a discussion
- 42:00 As a journalist what questions should I not ask?
- 45:00 Presentation concludes
Mumbrella360 takes place between June 7-9. Early-bird tickets are on sale until April 15, offering savings of up to $700.