In the latest of a series we present highlights from the 2015 Mumbrella360 conference.
In this presentation, Nicola Swankie, head of content strategy at Society, talks about how control and perception of a brand rests in the minds of the public and how brands can establish authenticity and respect in the digital world, in the Mumbrella360 video: Rediscovering purpose – why your brand isn’t the only one having an identity crisis.
Timeline of session:
- 0:00 Introduction by Nicola Swankie
- 2:00 Audience breathing exercise
- 2:41 A story about India and how it can calm your brand crisis
- 3:00 How Facebook’s Newsfeed has changed us
- 5:55 Channel “me”, Poplatch society and the gift economy
- 9:12 Embracing communication methods that reach your market
- 9:50 New power: Uber doesn’t own taxis; Airbnb doesn’t own real estate
- 11:00 Reversing the top-down pyramid of influence – the power has shifted
- 12:24 Russell Brand: reinventing self
- 13:31 Brands as myths: Faris Yakob and self-branding
- 16:15 Brand identity isn’t up to brands, it’s formed by public perception
- 18:00 We buy the product to consume the myth
- 19:50 It’s time for brands to embrace its shadows – the parts that aren’t showcased.
- 21:20 When consumers call brands out for false associations
- 24:30 You are a brand but what is your purpose?
- 26:30 Energetic alignment and what it means for your brand
- 27:35 Brand planning chart using yoga positions
- 28:05 The four key questions: Guiding Principles (values); Vision & Mission; Your ‘WHY’; Business Model + Goals
- 30:40 Branding advice from a cab driver
- 30:35 What are people saying about your brand?
- 32:20 Putting your “authentically awesome” self on social media
- 33:40 Nike and Coca-Cola: overcoming negatives – the ‘girl effect’ & ‘me/we’
- 37:40 Patagonia’s purpose = rise in profit
- 39:20 How Tom’s shoes created a myth
- 41:00 Stand for something more than just a brand
- 43:00 Do things. And tell people
Visit the Mumbrella360 website via this link.
Video edited by 90 Seconds cloud video production
Mumbrella360 takes place between June 7-9. Early-bird tickets are now on sale until April 15, offering savings of up to $700.
See sessions announced so far and book your place here.