Down Under gets the Telstra treatment for Olympics ad
The ad, created by DDB Sydney, features Men At Work’s Colin Hay and a cast of thousands.
The 60-second commercial breaks in time for the Olympics tomorrow morning, and follows a series of 15-second teaser spots that kicked off on Monday of this week.
Mark Buckman, Telstra’s marketing chief, said in a press release: “The campaign has been designed to ignite patriotism among Australians and encourage them to support our athletes in London by sending a Telstra HeroMessage. A Telstra HeroMessage is a powerful and emotional way to connect with our Olympic athletes and I encourage all Australians to harness the Olympic spirit and spur on our athletes and teams to greatness in London.”
Dylan Harrison, ECD at DDB Sydney, commented: “What better way to create the ultimate message of support for our athletes and kick-start the London 2012 HeroMessage service than to re-record one of the most identifiable tracks in Australian music history.
He added: “Down Under has always been synonymous with our strong sense of sporting patriotism and the sentiment we feel toward our sporting heroes. It strikes a real chord with Australians no matter where they are in the world and we had an overwhelming response from Aussies everywhere wanting to belt out the tune.”
- Chief Marketing Officer: Mark Buckman
- Director Corporate Marketing: Inese Kingsmill
- Brand Marketing Manager: Kieran O’Donnell
- Production Company: Rogue Films (London) / Chief Entertainment (Australia)
- Director: Tubby Brothers (London) / Stuart McFadyen
- Creative Agency: DDB
- ECD: Dylan Harrison
- Creative Director: Rupert Hancock
- Managing Partner: Brent Annells
- Media Agency: OMD
- TV Trading Manager: Simon Lee