For every Old Spice using Twitter in brilliant ways, there’s another brand that uses it to fall flat on their arse, as Australia’s Crust Pizza has learned today with the birth of #crustgate.
@Crust_Pizza has been a committed tweeter for some time. They provided the food for Sydney’s Twestival and give away pizzas via Twitter every Friday.
Today it tweeted a link to a video: “Need a laugh? Hilarious compilation of female driver madness.”
Fair to say it didn’t go down well.
- gilmae: And @crust_pizza just smeared it’s own reputation amongst women. Congratulations.
- shonias @crust_pizza Yeah, ’cause it’s the lack of Y chromosome that causes bad driving…..
- DanielFisher @crust_pizza hmmmmm something NQR about that last tweet. I’m guessing you don’t have a female tweeting for you right now.
- redambition Seriously, @crust_pizza? The “female drivers” “comedy” video is not cool. Not cool at all.
- randomknits @crust_pizza suddenly you guys don’t seem so cool
- web_goddess RT @crust_pizza: Need a laugh? Hilarious compilation of female driver madness. http://ow.ly/2avpf // Sexism FAIL. Badly done, Crust.
- MetalheadMick This is gonna bite Crust in the ass #FAIL RT @crust_pizza: Need a laugh? Hilarious compilation of female driver madness http://ow.ly/2avpf
- Warlach @MetalheadMick @crust_pizza OK… yeah, that’s not great.
- tali3sin RT @crust_pizza: Need a laugh? Hilarious compilation of female driver madness. http://ow.ly/2avpf <- I won’t be entering Crust Pizza Friday.
- BluntNate LOL I get it @crust_pizza girls can’t drive, also black guys are good at soprts, jews are greedy and fags are all lisping limp-wrists right?
- Princess_Zo @Warlach @MetalheadMick really not good at all. Not sure what @crust_pizza were thinking.
- nlfharrison Laughing at @Crust_Pizza stabbing itself in the foot and people reacting accordingly with hostility
- Warlach Not going to lead a witchhunt, but am curious: will @crust_pizza’s tweet affect your buying habits? #CrustGate
- fifowood @Crust_Pizza Video is offensive to female drivers and SO tiresome. Personally, I have ace parking skillz that I’m proud of!
A couple of hours later came the apology: “Sorry guys, we apologise for the video and meant no offense to drivers, female or otherwise. Lesson learned and thanks for the feedback.”
Fair to say though that not everybody agrees that #crustgate is a full-blown scandal. PHD’s @JoelyRighteous has created a special handy tool kit offering help in getting over it.