Cummins & Partners has emerged as the agency behind John West’s ‘Finnish Tuna’ stunt which was an effort to promote the dangers of unsustainable fishing.
The stunt saw John West launch a fake tuna brand called ‘Finnish Tuna’ in an effort to dramatise the possibility of a world without fish thanks to unsustainable fishing methods.
The campaign was aimed at promoting the fact that John West now only sourced tuna certified by the Marine Stewardship Council. It was built on insights from Cummins & Partners, who won the John West account from BWM at the end of January, that people’s understanding of the concept of ‘sustainable’ equalled having something ‘forever’, and from this insight the ‘Unlimited Edition’ work was born.
Cans of ‘Finnish Tuna’ were distributed to commuters who found when they opened the cans there was nothing in them but water and a message: “Imagine a world without fish”.
The stunt was followed by the introduction of the John West ‘Unlimited Edition Can’, which the brand supported with a TVC featuring a fisherman explaining the brand’s commitment to sustainable fishing practices.
The campaign is being supported across broadcast media, point of sale and digital content. It has also had a social media and PR component developed and executed by Mango Communications in conjunction with Cummins & Partners.
Jim Ingram, Co-ECD at Cummins & Partners said in a statement: “We are very proud of this work. Making people care about sustainability, and transferring that to sales of John West is a complicated communications objective.
“Our campaign has a number of moving parts, but all of it revolves around making it easy for consumers to understand that John West’s sustainable credentials are what makes it the best tuna”.
Stephanie Dore-Smith, senior brand manager, John West, at Simplot Australia, said in a statement: “From the pitch to production the Cummins & Partners team has been great to work with. Our idea has captured a lot of people’s imagination and we couldn’t be more happy with the work.”
Creative Agency: Cummins & Partners
- Jim Ingram – Executive Creative Director
- Ben Couzens – Executive Creative Director
- Chris Ellis – Senior Copywriter
- Aaron Lipson – Senior Art Director
- Damian Royce – Creative Director
- Rod Mooseek – Group Account Director
- Brioni Pickhaver – Senior Account Director
- Alisa Mezhov – Senior Account Manager
- Adam Ferrier – Global Chief Strategy officer
- James Bennett – Planner
- Naomi Nienaber – Producer
PR: Mango Communications
- Rebecca Ahern – Managing Director
- Amanda Sheat – Account Director
- Lauren Hunt – Account Manager
- Emma Paolucci – Account Coordinator
Production Company: Plaza Films
- Director: Paul Middleditch
- Executive Producer: Peter Masterton