Sport dominated the weekend with Nick Kyrgios’ five set thriller against Italian Andreas Seppi to become the youngest Australian Open men’s quarter-finalist in almost a quarter of a century on Sunday evening drawing a metro audience of 1.103m
The late broadcast was watched by a metro audience of 657,000.
Tonight promises to be more competitive of the year so far with Nine launching the new season of The Block two weeks before the ratings year at 7.30pm, whilst Kyrgios takes on Britain’s Andy Murray in the tennis quarter final at the same time, and Australia face off with the UAE for a place in the final of the Asian Cup on ABC and Fox Sports at 8pm.
A new Super Bowl ad for BMW flashes back to a time before memes and Twitter — back when everyone was just started to wrap their heads around the concept of the world wide web. In the clip from 1994, Katie Couric and Bryant Gumbel are trying to explain what the Internet is; the “@” symbol proves particularly confusing.
The campaign for the BMW i3, an all-electric vehicle primarily composed of carbon fiber, pokes fun at the clumsy way we adapt to new technology.
The co-founder of creative agency Clemenger, Peter Clemenger and his wife Joan Clemenger have been recognised for their support of the arts and philanthropy in the Australia Day honours, with each becoming Officers of the Order of Australia (AO).
The couple are among a number of high profile media and advertising identities to be recognised in this year’s awards with Studio 10 presenter Jessica Rowe also being recognised for her support of mental health being made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM).
Journalists George Negus, Gerald Stone and radio broadcaster Elaine Canty will be made Members of the Order of Australia, while actress turned author Judy Nunn was appointed AM. Read more »
Radio station Triple J has confirmed that it has disqualified Taylor Swift’s song Shake It Off from its annual Australia Day Hottest 100, claiming viral site Buzzfeed tried to “troll the poll” with its campaign to get the song onto the list.
The ABC’s 40-year-old youth station tweeted a link headed “8 Hilarious But Totally True Reasons You Won’t Hear ‘Shake It off'”. The link went to a spoof website Triple J Feed, designed to look like Buzzfeed.
The #tay4hottest100 campaign was started last week by Buzzfeed News reporter Mark Di Stefano. But Triple J article claimed: “Whilst their advertisers enjoyed the sweet page views, it’s not legit for other media to try and troll the poll.”
The posting from Triple J also claimed that many of those voting were doing so simply poke fun at the station’s non-pop “hipster” audience. It said: “it became pretty clear, pretty quick that a lot of people just wanted to prod some ‘hipsters’ for the lulz.” Read more »
Troubled airline Malaysia Airlines’ website has been hacked and replaced with a bad taste message about its missing flight MH370.
The airline’s URL malaysiaairlines.com has been taken over with a message claiming: “Hacked by Cyber Caliphate”.
Recent weeks saw Twitter accounts belonging to the US Pentagon and US Central Command reportedly hacked by an organisation calling itself Cyber Caliphate which declares itself sympathetic with extremist Islamic beliefs.
Malaysia Airlines’ Flight 370 went missing in March last year. A “404 not found” message on a website refers to the server being unable to find what was requested.
The tagline of the website has been changed to read “ISIS will prevail”.
Malaysia Airlines has offered a new URL for passengers to check in, here. The airline posted on Twitter: “You may experience difficulty accessing our website. We are currently working on resolving the issue.”
Update, 3pm. Malaysia Airlines has taken its website offline, but says that it expect it to be up and running again “within 22 hours”. A message on the airline’s Facebook page reads:
Malaysia Airlines confirms that its Domain Name System (DNS) has been compromised where users are re-directed to a hacker website whenwww.malaysiaairlines.com URL is keyed in.
At this stage, Malaysia Airlines’ web servers are intact.
The airline has resolved the issue with its service provider and the system is expected to be fully recovered within 22 hours.
The matter has also been immediately reported to CyberSecurity Malaysia and the Ministry of Transport.
Malaysia Airlines assures customers and clients that its website was not hacked and this temporary glitch does not affect their bookings and that user data remains secured.
At the time of publishing, Malaysia Airlines had not responded to Mumbrella’s request for comment.
Wrigley has unveiled its new global campaign for its Extra gum product with the campaign featuring actor Ashton Kutcher breaking up with a deranged piece of pizza, building upon previous iterations featuring actor Antonio Banderas.
Created by CLM BBDO and Energy BBDO, the campaign will beginning airing on Sunday in Australia and New Zealand as well as 40 countries around the world.
It features Kutcher out to impress a woman only to be interrupted by a left over piece of pizza. The spot mimics a real relationship ‘break up’ with Kutcher attempting to explain to the left over pizza why it has to go.
Allianz has turned to family life and dinosaurs for its new ad for its life insurance products, with a father and son playing together.
The ad, by MercerBell starts with a boy playing with toy dinosaurs before asking his dad who would look after him if they came alive and ate him, leaving him stumped for an answer.
David Bell, ECD at MercerBell, said: “Life Insurance can be a tricky, awkward topic to broach, let alone sell. The team have created something out of the ordinary with a really fresh way to get around the sensitivities this subject can bring.”
The deputy president of the Public Relations Institute of Australia Allison Lee joined Mumbrella on Friday in a series of hangouts with marketing industry association heads.
During the hangout Lee talked about PRIA’s goals for the year, why using the advertising value equivalent measurement was bad for the industry, and the what was needed to dispel public and marketer’s misconceptions about the industry.
Lee is an award winning PR practitioner with more than 20 years in the industry and is the founder of Impact Communications. As well as her national role with PRIA she is also chair of its Golden Target Awards committee and the Registered Consultancy Group.
Last year the association went through major changes with Mike Watson taking over the presidency from Terri-Helen Gaynor last February amid a raft of board changes. It was also revealed at its annual conference the institute had made a loss in the last three financial years, and had looked at merging with another PR industry body.
Keenan, who has been in the role since May 2013, will be joining betting company BetEasy as its commercial director.
“I want to thank Nick for his passion and energy in helping grow Maxus into a strong market position,” said Jon Chadwick CEO of Maxus Australia. Read more »
The bank confirmed the major account move this morning with a spokeswoman saying: “Bank of Melbourne is at an exciting point in its evolution.
“After launching the brand and working with Ogilvy for almost four years we recently appointed Saatchi & Saatchi as our main creative agency to support us through our next phase. Read more »
Edelman’s appointment will see them take responsibility for not only public relations but also the brand’s online influencers campaigns and its partnership efforts.
“Edelman impressed us with its understanding of the brand, and original thinking about the communications opportunities around the creative industries,” said David Seargeant CEO and managing director at Amalgamated Holdings Ltd, QT Hotel’s parent company. Read more »
The first big news battle of 2015 is shaping up with Seven and Nine both releasing promos highlighting their news specials with survivors of the Martin Place siege.
Both the Seven and Nine networks are understood to have paid for the interviews with survivors, which has drawn criticism amid concerns by a former coroner that they could prejudice the coronial inquest into the Sydney siege, which begins at the end of the month.
At this stage the air dates for the two rival specials is undecided and both networks have played down the risk that evidence could be tainted by the specials.
Pizza Hut will act more like a challenger brand in its marketing this year with more creativity and innovation as it aims to topple rival Dominos, with a new Australia Day campaign centred around a Vegemite-crust pizza the first piece in the puzzle.
The brave new campaign, the first from agency Host since it took over the account in November from M&C Saatchi, sees a series of foreign backpackers trying the Mitey Stuffed Crust pizza with verdicts ranging from “shit” to “that’s disgusting” and like “petrol”, but ending with two Aussies enjoying it.
Pizza Hut’s head of marketing Fatima Syed told Mumbrella the campaign, which is only running on social media and digital channels, was based on the insight “you’ve got to be Australian to truly appreciate Vegemite”.
She added: “If you didn’t grow up with it, you don’t understand what it is. There’s nothing more Australian than Vegemite and cheese.”
Syed said she did not find it hard to commission an ad criticising the product “because it was so true to the insight”. Read more »
News Corp Australia has today announced the promotion of Kathryn Carter to NSW sales director replacing Nicola Lewis who left in September.
National sales director Sharb Farjami said Carter, who is currently group sales director, would be focused on driving innovation in the publisher’s advertising service.
“We are continually enhancing our product portfolio, and Kathryn’s appointment will be instrumental in delivering and positioning this to our agency and client customers,” said Farjami.
Read more »
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has launched legal action against talkback presenter Alan Jones and Fairfax Radio’s Brisbane station 4BC for damages as the veteran broadcaster continues to campaign against him during the state election.
Jones has been putting out a one hour show on 4BC station since the start of the year, and has taken several swings at the Liberal leader over his plans to allow a coal mine expansion in Jones’ home town.
The Queensland minister for infrastructure Jeffrey Seeney is also a named plaintiff in documents lodged with Queensland’s Supreme Court.
Tennis came through on a sport-heavy night for TV viewers last night with Lleyton Hewitt’s five-set loss to Bejamin Becker proving more compelling than the Soceroos in the Asian Cup and Brett Lee’s final game at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
Seven’s night coverage of the Australian Open was the most watched non-news show of the evening with 888,000 viewers, with 436,000 sticking with the late session on the channel.
Tim Cahill’s heroics in the Asian Cup quarter final between Australia and China had an audience of 618,000 on ABC from 9.30pm, the biggest audience so far for the tournament. Fox Sports’ live coverage got 286,000 viewers.
Meanwhile fast-bowler Lee’s dramatic farewell to his home ground in the Big Bash League, which saw his Sydney Sixers side beat rivals Sydney Thunder with the last ball of the match, could only pull in 441,000 for the first innings from 7.30pm, and 524,000 for the second innings, according to OzTam overnight ratings. Read more »
Morning update: Terry Crews marries himself for Old Spice; Buzzfeed creates first ad – with cats; Weight Watchers crashes the Super Bowl
Creativity Online: Terry Crews Is Married to Himself in Latest From Old Spice
Old Spice is back with another zany spot featuring Terry Crews, and a lot of yelling. This time, Mr. Crews has a nightmare in which he keeps seeing his double — on the street, and even in the marital bed. The spot, by Wieden & Kennedy Portland and directed by Fatal Farm, is a follow-up to last year’s Get Shaved in the Face ad for the brand’s line of electric shavers, which showed Crews getting shaved by his mini-me. If you like it loud and crazy, this is for you.
Fairfax Media and Nine Entertainment’s join streaming venture Stan is set to launch on Australia Day after offering some members of the public a preview run on the service earlier this week.
Access to Stan’s content library which consists of TV and movies will set users back $10 a month after completing a 30-day trial. Speculation suggested it would be launched around February 8, when its flagship show Better Call Saul goes to air in the US.
Stan CEO Mike Sneesby said: “We know there’s been some speculation around Stan’s launch date, and while we’ve had to keep it under wraps we’re really proud to be able to announce that Australia’s new streaming service will launch on Australia Day.”